Sunday, November 26, 2006

And Miles to Go Before I Tri.

Call it a miracle. Call it the result of much training and practice. But whatever you do, don’t call it a coincidence.

Today, for the SECOND time ever, I ran half a mile without stopping.

I know this comes with not more than a “ho-hum” from most of the fine readers of this blog. But you’ve got to understand – I can swim to China. I can bike the Alps (OK, I’ve never tried, but I’m sure I could do it if I went slowly enough!). But ask me to run to the corner and back, and I’ve always found myself winded before I even got started. I don’t know why, but there you go. Even as a child, I dreaded the wind sprints that Coach Bruce and the rest of the fine coaching staff assigned to us after softball practice. I’ve just never been very good at running, plain and simple.

And I may still not be. But darn it if I’m not willing to give it another whirl.

So, a little more than a week ago, I ran half a mile without stopping for the very first time. THAT, I could have shrugged off as coincidence, as a lucky break. But not this one. No sir.

And now that I know I can do it, I’ll just have to do it again. Tomorrow morning, in fact, when I’ll go one block further than half a mile, just to spite myself. Don’t you just hear my lungs and legs saying “Hurrah!” already? ;)

:)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home