Tuesday, April 15, 2008

Good People.

So, I just got back from a bike ride on the Mount Vernon Trail, and I just wanted to record for here and all time that, amid stories of bad people doing bad things in every corner of this country, there are still plenty of good folks out there.

This was my short bike for the week – my hillwork and interval ride. Post-bronchitis, it’s also a muscle-rebuilding ride, since my lungs want to be a little bit sluggish in the recovery department. So up the hills I went, huffing and puffing, when I felt someone riding behind me. This is nothing new, mind you; the trails are fairly crowded at night. And the cyclist wasn’t tailgating – we were just going the same pace.

And so, up and down we went, two shadows out across the river. When we got to the last hill before I was to turn around, the other cyclist pulled up next to me and told me I’d done good work on those hills.

Now, I know he was just being nice, but I appreciated the sentiment anyway. I was, after all, nearly suffocating, so any show of kindness was most welcome.

He asked me how far I was going, and I told him I was going to turn around there and head back. He said he’d planned on heading back earlier, but saw me heading up the hills and thought why not.

“Want a riding buddy?” he asked. Sure! I’m always up for a pal on the trails. He introduced himself as Kyle, and off we went, chatting as we rode, each of us taking turns setting the pace. I’d told him about the bronchitis, so he knew I was not in fine form, but he slowed down for me anyway and we had a great ride.

Kyle was heading back to Crystal City, so our time together was fairly short, since I was pulling off in Old Town. But it was great getting to know him, for whatever the distance. I hope I’ll see him again on the trails!

:)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home