Monday, May 19, 2008

Running for Auntie A.

I just got off the phone with my mother, who called to report in on my aunt's doctor's appointment today. She's been having some problems lately with fatigue, and balance, and cognitive skills, just to name a few. Naturally, this has been disturbing to us all, and we've been on pins and needles to learn the results of her recent MRIs.

Today, she met with her doctor, who diagnosed her with multiple sclerosis.

This is, as you might imagine, a double-edged sword. On the very bright side, we were all afraid of what her symptoms could mean, were scared of the unknown. Now, she knows. And now she can begin to find ways to treat herself and go about living a normal life again.

But MS isn't for sissies. It's quite a shock to the whole system, one that doctors haven't been able to wrap their arms around fully just yet. There's a lot to learn, and a lot to do. There's a lot to soak in. A ton of decisions to be made. And a lot of adjusting to do on Auntie A's behalf.

So why do I write this here?

I write here because Auntie A is one of US. She's a runner. An athlete. She and I could talk for hours about the latest issue of Runner's World, our favorite shoes, our favorite places to train, or our synopses of various Ironman races. She wanted to run a marathon with me in the next couple of years, maybe do a triathlon together sometime soon. She may have to redo the timeline a little bit, but I'm still holding her to those plans.

In the meantime, however, I'm racing on her behalf. This season belongs to her. I'm merely the conduit.

:)

1 Comments:

Blogger Erin said...

Catching up on GIAT and very sad to read about Auntie A. I'm giving her hugs and singing Neil Diamond songs for her in my heart.

9:53 AM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home